Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Slow Cooker - Sugared Cinnamon Almonds

This recipe has been catching my eye so I decided to give it a go. It seemed to good to be true...but it really works and the end result is fantastic. I made half the recipe just in case it was a disaster. They seemed to cook faster than the recipe said but I left them in for the full time.

I'm now keen to experiment a bit and try adding different spices. I think a slight hint of chilli would be great with the sweetness.

These will be an ideal Christmas gift.






Slow Cooker - Sugared Cinnamon Almonds


4 Cups whole raw almonds
2 Egg WHITE
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
Dash Salt
Gather your ingredients and spray the stoneware of your large crock pot with cooking spray.
In a medium sized bowl, blend sugars, cinnamon, and salt.
In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites and vanilla until good and frothy.



Add almonds.
Toss until the almonds are very well coated with the egg mixture. Add Sugars and stir to coat the almonds thoroughly.
Dump the almonds into your slow cooker and cook on low for about or up to 3 hours (this varies by slow cooker. for this batch, mine went for just under 2 hours before I removed them), mixing every 20 minutes or so. It’s important to mix your almonds fairly often because nuts tend to burn easily due to their high oil content. The sugars can also burn.
Once the almonds have finished cooking, I spread them out onto a baking sheet to cool. As they are cooling, I like to break them up a bit with a wooden spoon as they tend to clump together.

No comments:

Post a Comment