Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Fig, Ginger and Walnut Chutney

A couple of years ago I was given the most amazing fig chutney. I think it had walnuts in it and possibly ginger. I asked the person who made it for the recipe but the recipe she gave me didn't match what I had in my memory.
I hunted and hunted for a recipe that included figs, ginger and walnuts but couldn't find one so I've made some changes and additions to a basic recipe based on those I have read and the finished chutney is amazing!

If you have got lots of figs to use, check out these two recipes too...Fig and Apple Chutney and Figs Poached in Vanilla









Fig, Ginger and Walnut Chutney

Ingredients
  • 15 fresh figs / two bags of dried figs
  • 150ml balsamic vinegar
  • 100ml white wine vinegar
  • 300g soft brown sugar
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 red onions finely sliced
  • 1 chilli deseeded and cut into slithers ( optional)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 10g fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste.
  • 1/2 cup of chopped crystallised ginger
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Method
Finely slice the red onion, peel and grate the ginger, remove the stalk from the figs and cut them into quarters. Zest and juice the lemon. Heat the oil in a large heavy based pan over a medium heat and then put in the red onion. Fry the onion for 5 minutes until it has slightly softened and turned translucent, it should be slightly caramelised.
Add all the other ingredients to the pan except for the figs, then season with salt & pepper to taste. Bring it up to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for a further 30 minutes. Once the liquid has reduced to a syrup add in the figs, crystallised ginger and walnuts and cook it for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the chutney into jars, seal and allow to cool.The Chutney can be kept unopened for up to six weeks and opened as long as it’s refrigerated for 3 weeks. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the sound of your chutney, Viki! I'll have to try it using some of the figs I put in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete