Sunday, January 15, 2012

When someone knows you well...

I received a belated Christmas present from a very dear friend today which illustrated one of the reasons she is such a dear friend...it was a basket filled with cheeses, divine preserved fruits, jams, chutneys and jellys.
The preserves were all made by Lynn's mum Bev. I've been the lucky recipient of some of Bev's fantastic creations before and have tonight greedily read the labels which give names, descriptions, contents and serving suggestions. I'm pretty sure they grow most of the ingredients too.
The Fothergills -Bev and Hilton run a wonderful bed and breakfast 'Fothergills on Mimiha' in Matata (near Whakatane). I have been lucky enough to spend a couple of special day visits there. Bev's preserves can be bought at their bed and breakfast.

The one that I'm really looking forward to is Figs in Vanilla Syrup. Luckily I'm the only one in the house that eats figs so I won't have to share any of them. John has got his eye on the Apple Mint and Peppercorn Jelly as he has a current fascination with mint sauce as an addition to the most unexpected meals.

Hmmmm, now which will I have with cheese and wine after work tomorrow?


Just before posting this the figs got the better of me. I had a couple and they were incredible. The vanilla syrup was subtle and not too sweet, the combination worked beautifully.

1 comment:

  1. How neat to get this great reaction, Vicki! I did suggest those figs, but don't really know what else you received!

    ReplyDelete