Sunday, January 22, 2012

Caramello Brownie - Recipe

I've been revisiting my Sophie Gray 'Enjoy' recipe book recently looking at new recipes to make. Today I was looking for something for lunch to go with our yummy cheese scones and that could also be my contribution to morning tea for our staff professional learning retreat that we go away on tomorrow for three days. This recipe looked pretty good and I know there are a couple of brownie enthusiasts at home and at work.

I think next time I make them I will try to keep the caramel a bit thicker and less mixed in to the cake....and I might double the caramello mixture.
The mixture did seem to rise a bit despite there being no baking powder or rising agent in the ingredients.
I used Whittakers dark ghana 72% cocoa solid chocolate (we always have a few blocks in the pantry) and Valrhona cocoa powder (from Sabato).

Caramello Brownie
For the base
150g butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
150g dark chocolate
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa

For the caramel
55 g butter
3/4 cup of condensed milk (about half a tin)
1 tbsp golden syrup


Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a sponge roll tin with baking paper.
In medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in sugar then remove from the heat and add the chocolate and vanilla. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Sift in flour an cocoa, mixing well after each addition.

To make caramel, melt the butter with condensed milk and syrup in a small saucepan. When melted and combined remove from heat and pour into a jug.

Pour some of the chocolate mixture into prepared tin then alternatively pour in caramel so the two are randomly spread around the tin. Use a skewer to swirl the caramel into the chocolate mix.
Bake for 30 minutes, until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean and the texture is slightly fidget. Allow to cool before cutting.


No comments:

Post a Comment