Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Quinoa - my new super food

In an attempt to get more healthy I am determined to find a recipe or two for Quinoa that are really nice. From everything I read about it, it really is a fantastic alternative to rice, couscous and pasta. I'm not sure the rest of my family will agree however.

"Quinoa is quite literally the greatest food. Ever. It is the only plant-based food that has all of the essential amino acids. NASA has declared it an essential staple food that will be used on the first manned mission to Mars."

"The nutrient composition is very good compared with common cereals. Quinoa grains contain essential amino acids like lysine and good quantities of calcium, phosphorus, and iron." Wikipedia

I tried a salad the other night where I cooked the quinoa with stock and added sautéed mushrooms, capsicum, onion and garlic...a bit of an experiment but it was fine.

Tonight when the rest of the family had pasta, I had quinoa. This recipe is one I found after pouring over loads when I googled 'quinoa recipes'. I like the fact that the veges are raw so therefore don't loose their nutritional value.

It was really nice. Fresh, crispy and healthy. I will make it again.

I'm keen to hear any recipes anyone out there might have!



Colourful Quinoa Salad


Ingredients

  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups Water
  • Salt
  • 1 carrot peeled and grated
  • 1 red pepper seeded and diced
  • 1 Cucumber washed and sliced (I used about half and diced it)
  • 6 grated radishes (we have way to many needing to be eaten)
  • 3 green onion sliced thinly
  • 1 bunch Parsley chopped (I used coriander)
  • The zest and juice of 1 Lemon
  • ¼ cup Olive Oil (I used about 1/4 of a cup)
  • Salt & Pepper 

Method

  1. 1Rinse the quinoa well in cold running water. This will easily rinse away the natural bitter coating on the seeds. Drain and toss into a small pot. Add the water and season with salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover with a tight fitting lid, turn the heat to low and simmer until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
  2. 2Meanwhile get all the colorful veggies ready. Toss them into a bowl and when the quinoa is done (and cooled), add it as well. Add the lemon and olive oil, toss well, season with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment