Sunday, April 1, 2012

Feijoa Shortcake

It is the start of feijoa season again which is a pretty exciting time in our house. Isabella (4 years) goes on a daily 'feijoa hunt' and delights in coming back with a huge bounty every day. At the moment it is a bowl full, later in the season it will be a bucket full.

I have a collection of feijoa recipes but last night found a great site via pinterest that has loads of new feijoa recipes to try. I will apologise in advance for those of you that don't have access to or don't like feijoas for numerous posts to come over the next few weeks.

Today I have made a feijoa and lemon cordial concentrate which I suspect will be similar to the lemon cordial I made a few months ago and feijoa shortcake. I made a double recipe of the shortcake in the hope that I can take enough to work tomorrow for everyone. I've never made shortcake before and had my doubts about how it would turn out but it looks and tastes great.


FEIJOA SHORTCAKE
Fruit topping
  • 500 grams peeled chopped feijoas
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • zest of 1 lemon
Dough
  • 180 grams butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 250 grams flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
Method
  1. Mix the feijoas, sugar and lemon zest and set aside.
  2. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla and lemon juice.
  3. Mix well and add flour and baking powder.
  4. Spread most of dough in greased/lined tin or flan dish, drain feijoas and spread on top of dough.
  5. Drop bits of remaining dough on top of feijoa, sprinkle with brown sugar.
  6. Bake at 180ºC about 50-60 minutes (I used Moscavato dark unrefined cane sugar)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome recipe, made this last night,quick & simple and super delish, a new favourite :)

    ReplyDelete