Monday, April 23, 2012

Crispy Sliced Potato Bake



Last night I came across this recipe on a website called Prevention Rd which has some great recipes that are 'healthy options'. There was this potato recipe that looked good. I just LOVE potato dishes...a wee bit too much.

One of my favourite side dishes is Duaphinoise potatoes. I even came across a more healthy version made with stock instead of cream. Patrick (18 years) makes a potato dish and I vaguely remember my mother making that I know as 'hassle-back' potatoes which is a real favourite in our home.


I thought I'd give it a try because it looked so easy. It was!
My mandolin has been a really good time saver in the kitchen.
I initially took out a few to allow space between for the oil/butter mixture to seep in, but as they cooked the shrunk away so I would pack a bit closer next time.

Everyone really loved it! I think I might have cooked it too long and I basted it during cooking and it ended up quite greasy. I'd probably cut back a bit on the basting.
Two dishes - two types of potato



Crispy Potato Roast 
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 lbs russet potatoes
4 shallots, thickly sliced lengthwise (I used garlic slices)
1 tsp coarse sea salt
8 sprigs thyme
Directions:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees C In a small bowl, combine butter and oil. Brush bottom of a round 9-inch baking dish with some butter mixture. With a mandoline or food processor, slice potatoes very thinly crosswise.
Arrange potato slices vertically in dish. Wedge shallots throughout. Sprinkle with salt and brush with remaining butter mixture. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add thyme and bake until potatoes are cooked through with a crisp top, about 35 minutes more. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 175 calories; 6.1 g. fat; 0 mg. cholesterol; 288 mg. sodium; 31.1 g. carbohydrate; 3.6 g. fiber; 4.8 g. protein
Result: Tender and crispy potato slices seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, and a small amount of olive oil and butter. Though this bakes for quite some time, it was very simple to make and requires very few ingredients. While a mandoline is helpful, this can certainly be done with a great knife and some patience 

No comments:

Post a Comment