Monday, January 14, 2013

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

I'm always on the look out for quinoa recipes - healthy, good minerals, fibre etc. Often the recipes I find are just variations on those I already have.
I liked the look of this one because it had olives in it...I love olives.
I'm quite pleased with the result although it was a bit wet with dressing. I;d probably reduce the quantity next time.




Mediterranean Quinoa Salad


Bring to a boil over low heat:

1 cup quinoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water (I use 2 cups of water (or chicken stock)  to 1 cup of quinoa)

Cover and simmer slowly for 15 to 20 minutes until the grains are cooked but still a little firm to the bite.

Remove from heat and add:

2 diced tomatoes
1 cup diced bell peppers
1 cup diced cucumber
1 cup chopped kalamata olives
1/4 cup chopped green onion (spring onion - I used 2-3)

Toss everything together with the Lemon Oregano Dressing.

Lemon Oregano DressingWhisk together well:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp honey
juice and finely minced zest of one lemon
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tbsp dried oregano)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment