Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pesto and Summer Vegetable Chicken

I found a recipe that looked simple and easy and had cherry tomatoes in it. Knowing we would probably have lots from our garden this summer I pinned it.

I made it last night but of course had to modify things slightly...well actually quite a bit.
After a quick read it looked like the first step was almost to make pesto. Since I have already started making and freezing pesto this year it was easy to just use some that was pre-made.
I also added a few vegetables - my mission for my families eating is always to add more veges to anything!



Pesto and Summer Vegetable Chicken

Ingredients:

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I used about 8 thighs with the bone in)
4 – 5 garlic cloves  (While there was already garlic in the pesto I added another 4...just because I love garlic)
1 cup fresh basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 package of cherry or grape tomatoes
1/2 red onion sliced (I used a full red onion)
I also added a red capsicum and  a diced zucchini
 Preparation:
Preheat oven at 375 degrees. Brown the chicken breasts in a pan. In a blender place the garlic, basil, olive oil, vinegar, water and pulse until pureed. (I used ready made pesto, then added the water and balsamic)
 Place the browned chicken breasts in a pyrex and cover with the basil, garlic mixture. Top with mushrooms, tomatoes and onion and bake for about 40 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Serve with brown rice and a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment