Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chicken and Wild Rice - a freezer meal

Summer holidays are almost over. While I've been working for the last three weeks from home (with short days and lots of breaks) I start back full time at work in a matter of days.

Last year I was organised enough to have a few meals in the freezer ready for nights when cooking a meal was tricky due to other commitments. While I always prefer to cook from scratch with fresh ingredients, sometimes a home made frozen meal is better than the 'take away' or ready made alternatives. This year I plan to be a bit more strategic about getting meals into the freezer.
I've been hunting for ideas. Ideally something that can be made ahead, frozen and cooked in the slow cooker while I am at work. Unfortunately my working day is long and often meals cooked for well over 8 hours (even on low) come out a bit over cooked.

I've been pinning ideas on Pintrest and tonight tried one out. I made one for dinner and one for the freezer. Lots of the sites I have pinned talk about having a huge cooking session and making a week's (or more) worth of meals or more in one go. Unfortunately I just don't have the freezer space.

Tonight's trial was a bit of a risky one. I've never cooked a dish that has uncooked rice in it that cooks in one dish in the oven. I was a bit dubious about what rice to use as many of the sites I've been looking at are American and they seem to use 'pre cooked' everything in the dishes.

I used disposable foil dishes - not so good environmentally admittedly. I'll work on that one!

The dish came out well. As usual I increased the vegetable content and played with the recipe. It will never be my favourite meal but it was super quick to prepare a meal for tonight and one for the freezer.

Chicken and Wild Rice 
1 box wild rice with seasoning packet (4.3 oz) (I used a cup of uncooked wild rice - not partially cooked)
1 can cream of mushroom soup 
1 can cream of chicken soup 
1 can water 
1 small can mushrooms, drained (I used uncooked mushrooms - about 2 cups chopped)
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, uncooked (I used thighs with the bone in)
1 cup slivered almonds 
I cup chopped courgette
1 chopped capsicum
2 spring onions chopped

1. Mix together rice with seasoning packet, both cans of soup, and water.  Stir in mushrooms (and other vegetables)
2. Pour in to 8X8 freezer dish, I use the foil pans.  Top with 6 chicken pieces and sprinkle with slivered almonds. 
3. Double wrap in heavy duty foil, label and freeze. 
Cooking Instruction: Thaw and bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour until chicken juices run clear and rice is tender. 
I like to serve this dish with a side of broccoli and fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment