Monday, January 14, 2013

Watermelon Martinis

Summer means cocktails made with summer fruit. I came across this recipe when I had a friend coming for dinner and just knew it was the right drink for the night.

The first time I made it I stuck pretty closely tot he recipe. The second time (after drinking the first pitcher) my measurements were a little less exact...but it still tasted great.
I also made a 'children's version' using the watermelon puree and lemonade which was quickly consumed by the little person.

I spent quite a lot of time prior to out dinner cutting and de-seeding the watermelon - a laborious but necessary job.
We don't have a cocktail blender so the watermelon was pureed in our food processor. It worked ok but I think it would be better in a decent blender. Maybe that is my next kitchen purchase?


Watermelon Martinis
ingredients
  • 5
    cups watermelon cubes (rind and seeds removed)
  • 3/4
    cup lemon vodka
  • 6
    tablespoons lime juice
  • 3
    tablespoons Cointreau or triple sec
  • 3
    tablespoons sugar
directions
1.Place watermelon in blender. Cover; blend until smooth. Pour puree into a pitcher and keep very cold, even a little frozen to make it icy.
2.For two martinis, add one cup of watermelon puree, 1/4 cup of lemon vodka, two tablespoons of lime juice, one tablespoon each of Cointreau and sugar to the blender with three to six ice cubes. Cover; blend until slushy. Makes 6 large martinis.

1 comment:

  1. They were delicious! I quite liked the fleshy texture.

    ReplyDelete