Saturday, February 18, 2012

Nostalgia Trip...Nana's Chocolate Chip Cookies


Nana's cookies on a plate from Grandma's dinner set

If you associate a food with a person (does anyone else do that?), my food association with my Nana (my father's mother) is chocolate chip cookies. When we were children my family visited every second weekend to mow lawns and generally help out. I have distinct memories of the smell of baking and especially the taste of her homemade chocolate chip cookies. 
I remember them being thicker than is currently 'fashionable' and with deep fork marks from squashing them down.


As I have said in previous posts, one of the major purposes of this blog is to record the recipes I use so that they are there for Isabella, Megan and Patrick in years to come. There are no hand written recipe books in our house.


The recipe Isabella and I made today comes from my Nana's hand written recipe book. I have changed measurements from ounces to grams and modified the cooking time a bit. I have also added more steps and instructions as the original (also below in blue) is very basic.

They tasted good but I think I overcooked them a bit. I don't remember them being browned as much as mine did today. I think the condensed milk plays a big part in their quite distinctive taste...but I'm certainly not a baking expert.


Nana's Chocolate Chip Cookies

110g butter
3 tbs sugar
2 tbs condensed milk
1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces
1 breakfast cup flour
1 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar.
Add condensed milk, flour and baking powder and mix well.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Roll into balls and flatten with a fork. Make sure they are well spaced on the tray as they will spread.
Bake at about 170 for about 20 minutes (until lightly browned)





Nana's Chocolate Chip Cookies - original recipe 
110g (4 oz) butter
3 tbs sugar
2 tbs condensed milk
6 cakes of dark chocolate?
1 breakfast cup flour
1 tsp baking powder

Cold tray, press with a fork.
Bake in coolish oven for about half an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment