Saturday, February 25, 2012

Home Made Mozzarella - Insalata Caprese

Probably my favourite dish ever is Insalata Caprese - a simple salad of buffalo mozzarella, tomato and basil. Unfortunately given the cost of buffalo mozzarella this is not a dish I make often at home.

I have had a Mad Millies cheese making kit since visiting the food show last year but for some reason have not got around to making anything with it. Today was the day.

Making cheese is a totally new experience for me. The need to heat to different temperatures and add seemly unusual ingredients made me ultra cautious - there was none of my usual estimates and approximations! Having been through this process once I know it was be so much easier next time.

The finished product was good. While it will never be as good as cheese made with buffalo milk it was as good as if not better than the NZ made versions I have bought.
On reading more I discovered I 'stretched' it a bit too much which made it harder than I was expecting. Something to prefect next time.

We will be having Insalata Caprese tomorrow for lunch and I suspect chicken lasagne or pizza topped with mozzarella for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment