Friday, September 16, 2011

Lemon Curd


A very kind colleague left a bag of lemons on the table in the staff room earlier this week.
As it was Friday today and there were still lots left I figured it was ok to take a few. I love anything with lemon in it...almost as much as I love anything with chocolate in it. I spent my drive home thinking about what I could do with lemons to 'pay it forward' to the kind person at work.
My decision based on the end product was a good one! I've just made Lemon Curd and it is delicious! I even licked the bowl!
It has made it clear that I need another microplane that zests very finely. I like the chunky bits of zest but they are not ideal for my planned finished product.
My plan is to make little sweet pastry cases and then save them at work on Monday with the Lemon Curd inside.

Lemon Curd
I think this recipe comes originally from Jo Seager.


200g butter
1 cup caster sugar
grated rind and juice of 3 lemons
4 eggs

Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Whisk the sugar, lemon rind and juice and eggs into the butter until well combined. Whisk continuously while the curd thickens and comes to the boil. Remove from the heat just as it is about to boil vigorously, and cool.
When cold, store the curd covered in the fridge. It will thicken considerably in the fridge and will keep for 2–3 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I wish I could say it was me who brought the lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John bought me my new micro plane!

    ReplyDelete