Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lemon and Fennel Chicken Recipe


I often take cuttings from magazines and newspapers and make them within the week. The problem is that once I have made a dish once the attraction goes...unless it is really amazing and preferably easy too.
This one was in the weekend paper and since it had lemon it it...which seems to be my flavour of choice at the moment, it seemed like a good idea.
The dish was remarkably simple and really effective. I used fennel that I have growing (slightly out of season but I live in hope that I will harvest some fennel bulb in month or so), so used some of the leaves fresh.
The fennel seeds on top were fantastic. I'm not a big fan of them but in this dish they were almost like a bust of nutty flavour when you bit in to them. The lemon infused through the chicken but the fennel flavour was dominant - hence my addition to the recipe of juice or zest.

Lemon and Fennel Chicken
Cut the chicken down the breast bone and flatten out (butterflied)

Oil the bottom of a dish that will fit the flattened chicken.


Slice about 3 lemons and lay them on the oiled bottom.
Slice 6 cloves of garlic and lay one the lemons.
Lay fresh fennel over the lemons and garlic.

Lay the chicken on top of the fennel and lemons.
Spread oil over it.
Squeeze lemon (or zest over the chicken) - my addition to lift the lemon flavour
Sprinkle whole fennel seeds over and lots of sea salt and pepper.

Bake for approximately 1 hour in moderate oven. It really does only need an hour!


No comments:

Post a Comment