Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Roast Chicken with Chestnut Stuffing - Recipe


A roast chicken is usually a weekend meal since no one gets home early enough to start it cooking in time for our early dinner time. Today I spent the day at home with a sick little person, so had the perfect opportunity to cook a roast chicken and also to use the last of the chestnuts from a previous week's Ooooby box as part of the stuffing.
The original stuffing recipe I used had chicken livers in it - not at all appealing to me, so in my usual fashion I have modified this recipe to suit us.
The stuffing is great, really nutty flavoured. If you like it quite solid and able to be sliced add an egg to the mixture in the food processor.

Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
3 Tbs butter
1 onion , finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4-6 slices of bread (I used Vogels or sour dough)
200g chestnuts, roughly chopped
1 Tbs fresh thyme
Handful parsley
zest from a lemon

Melt butter and fry onion and garlic till soft without browning.
Bread, chestnuts, parsley, thyme into food processor, pulse until combined and roughly chopped into pieces about the size of lentils. Add the onion and garlic and pulse to combine.
Stuff inside cavity of chicken and roast.

Now that it is recorded within this blog I can finally throw out the screwed up scrap of paper this recipe was on!

No comments:

Post a Comment