Saturday, July 23, 2011

Banana and Blueberry Muffins - recipe


One of the major reasons for writing this blog is to create an 'online recipe book' to pass on to future generations. My mother has the hand written recipe book my grandmother used, and since I'm not likely to handwrite anything, this has got to be the best option for me and my family!
This recipe isn't spectacular but it is a good dependable one that I use a lot. I got it from someone who made it dairy free - instead of butter there is oil and the milk was substituted with soy milk. It is also on a scrap of fading paper that has been stuck by magnet to our exhaust fan...so I really need to get it written down before I loose it forever.

Isabella (3) loves helping to make these, although the helping is more me finding ways to keep her occupied while I quickly make them...putting muffin cases in pans, mashing banana etc.
I use really old brown bananas (the look like they should have been thrown away), often frozen that way - I struggle to throw out food and bananas don't go in my compost or work farm. The blueberries are usually frozen and just stirred in at the end of the recipe.
I usually make a double recipe and freeze lots of them. They defrost well.

Banana and Blueberry Muffins
2 cups of flour (1 of while, 1 of wholemeal works well)
3/4 cup brown sugar (I love demerara dark brown sugar)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp of baking soda
1-2 bananas (ripe)...I usually use two to get the fruit content up
1/2 cup oil (vege oil)
1/2 - 1 cup milk

Mix flour, b-powder, b- soda and sugar.
Mash banana, add banana and oil into dry ingredients.
Add milk to moisten.
Carefully stir in blueberries.

Bake at 200 degrees c for 15 - 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment