Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Dishwasher Powder Recipe

I've been looking for a recipe that is less toxic than the dishwasher powder or cubes we have always used. I used to be incredibly paranoid when little fingers explored anywhere near the dishwasher and needless to say the cupboard that stored cleaning products still has a child lock on it.

I found this recipe via one of Wendyl Nissan's (Green Goddess) emailed newsletters. I wanted to give it a try for a couple of weeks before I bothered recording it here for my future reference.

It works well. I can't see any difference to the commercial stuff we used to buy.

So not only is it way less toxic to the environment, it is also really cheap to make.

Dishwashing Powder

½ cup of borax 
½ cup soda ash (this is powdered washing soda, not the crystals....but I just blitzed them in the food processor a bit)
¼ cup of citric acid
½ cup salt (not iodised))
10 drops of lemon essential oil 

Place all in a plastic container and shake.
Use 1 Tbsp per load. 
Use white vinegar in the rinse compartment (this seems to work really well too)

No comments:

Post a Comment