Monday, June 20, 2011

Suicide by Sour Dough?


The smell of baking bread is a familiar one in our home. I'm sure there will be future posts about the different breads I make. Sour dough bread has always been one of my favourites. I've had a few less that successful attempts at making a sour dough starter and then the bread in the past but after seeing a River Cottage programme devoted to making bread I was inspired again. The only hitch is that the growing of the sour dough starter requires a hot water cupboard or a warm spot...considering it is winter and we have not hot water cupboard this becomes a bit difficult. I enlisted the help of my Mum to start the starter. It is now bubbling (or should I say festering away) on my bench. We had a false start last weekend but the plan is to make a loaf from the starter this weekend. It has better be good! The starter has had daily halving, feeding and stirring for over two weeks now. The smell seems right - not pleasant but 'right'.

No comments:

Post a Comment