Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Oooby Box - My excitement for a Monday


Every Monday an Oooby Box of about a dozen different fruits and vegies gets delivered to our front door. I get an email a few days before telling me what will be in it. The idea is the food is sourced as locally as possible - it cuts down on the carbon foot print and it is organic or has had minimal sprays in the growing process.
Some weeks (like this week) the contents are pretty standard fruits and vegies that you would get at the supermarket. Other weeks there are things in it that I have never cooked with before...Daikon Radishes were an example recently, chestnuts were another (I made a yummy chicken stuffing and also caramelised some).
I really like the concept and the challenge of trying new things. I do have to admit that there have been a couple of things that I haven't been up to the challenge of cooking...cavolo nero and chokos...but they feed our worm farm and compost so I guess I can live with that.
Oooby (http://ooooby.ning.com/) have a road side stall in operation in Grey Lynn where you can take any surplus from your garden to sell. Maybe one day I'll have enough of something to do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment