Sunday, June 2, 2013

Pear Liqueur and Pear Garden Cocktail

A few too many pears got me searching for a recipe to use them, I came across this one for a Pear Liqueur. Simple, probably lethal and very very yummy.

The finished liqueur has a subtle pear smell and is quite brown and cloudy but used in the cocktail below is amazing.
I had intended to make just one round but one was just not enough. I didn't met any resistance from the others drinking them with me.

The lemon juice cut through the sweetness of the other ingredients.
I used supermarket cranberry drink which was probably a bit too sweet. I'd use unsweetened pure juice next time.

The sugar syrup was made in a hurry but putting half a cup of sugar and half a cup of water in the microwave for 3 minutes, then stirring while hot. I left it to cool and it was perfect.

Because we don't use 'oz' measurements I just treated each as a part or measure using the measure that came with our cocktail shaker.


Pear Liqueur
1.5 lbs. pears ripe (.68kg)
750ml vodka (cheap is good)
Peel, seed, and stem the pears. Cut them into 1″ pieces and place in a large glass container (at least a half gallon – I doubled the recipe). Pour the vodka into the glass container. Seal tightly and shake the jar. Place the jar in a cool, dark location for one week. Strain the pear out and then let sit for another 2 weeks.

Pear Garden Cocktail
2 oz (part/measure) pear liqueur (which you just happily made)
1 oz (part/measure) cranberry juice
1/2 oz (part/measure) Crème de Cassis (black currant liqueur)
1 oz (part/measure) lemon juice
1 oz (part/measure) simple syrup (1:1 sugar:water – dissolve sugar, bring to boil for a minute, let cool)
pear, for garnish (optional)
Place martini glass in freezer. Pour everything except the pear garnish into a shaker, fill with ice, and shake until cold. Strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with pear slice and other fruity things.


No comments:

Post a Comment