Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chicken pan poached in white wine - recipe

This dish is one that I used to cook a lot but for some reason have not made for a long time. I really don't know why as tonight's version was fantastic and enthusiastically consumed by everyone!
I originally found this in the 'Quick Smart ' section of a Cuisine magazine  at least 5 years ago. It was a Ray McVinnie recipe (before he became well known as a NZ Master Chef judge!). I've always like his recipes. They are usually good quality food cooked simply....my kind of cooking. This is one of those recipes that I really need in my online recipe book that is my blog.




Chicken Poached in White Wine
Split a chicken (my preference is always organic if possible) down the backbone, flatten and place cut side down in a large frying pan.
Add some olive oil, a few cloves of garlic, fresh thyme (or rosemary), a quartered lemon, salt and pepper and a cup (or more) of white wine.
Place on moderate heat  and bring to the boil.
Cover tightly and turn heat down. Cook for an hour without opening the lid until chicken is tender.
Uncover, remove chicken and put on warm platter.
Discard lemon and herbs.

Add a cup of chicken stock and boil until syrupy then pour over chicken served on cous cous or rice. (I often thicken with four and water to speed this up)

1 comment:

  1. I am going to make this when I have family here next!

    ReplyDelete