Thursday, December 8, 2011

'Aromatics' Wine Tasting - thank you Cuisine!

My darling husband (funny how the endearments flow in a situation like this) managed to get me an invite to the Fairfax Media - Cuisine wine tasting last week. This was as a result of being able to pass on how much I appreciated my private food and wine festival recently.

The wines on offer were all aromatics - rieslings, gewürztraminers and pinot gris. While only pinot gris would usually be my first choice I was happy to try a few (quite a few) of the different wines.

The Wine Editor explained that in each category there were around 130 entries. The wines there for us to try were the top 20-30 of each variety.
When John had attended the previous tasting, the wines were ranked 1-3 and a red dot indicated the 5 star wines. This time they had used a different system and we enjoyed trying wines rated 1-3, eventually identifying correctly that those that were 1 with a dot on them were the top wines. After about an hour I was even happy to tip out the wines I didn't like in the buckets you can see in the bottom of the picture.

The evening also gave me the opportunity to ask about the Cuisine website. It has been unavailable as a searchable site for about month and I have really missed it! The word is that it crashed and is currently begin rebuilt - ready next Tuesday.

It was interesting being there as John's wife and not 'the Principal', I was almost invisible and able to quietly observe everything going on around me. I almost sniggered when I was asked..."So, do you work"!

I made sure my appreciation of being on the invite list for this event was known and we have been assured we will be on the next guest list in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment