Monday, October 17, 2011

Mexican spiced tomato and lentil soup - recipe


I know its not really soup weather and that if I'm really honest we are too close to summer for soup but I have been craving this one for ages. To be honest I'm not even sure I made it over winter.

The recipe comes from Sophie Gray's (also known as the Destitute Gourmet) 'Enjoy'. I love the fact that it is vegetarian but has lentils in it for protein.
It uses Mexican Seasoning which is a recipe included in the book alone with a number of others that I make regularly to have on hand to quickly add to meals. (I'll include a couple soon).

I served it with toasted home made breads - focaccia, garlic and herb and basic white bread.



Mexican spiced tomato and lentil soup
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
3 tsp Mexican seasoning (cumin, chilli, sugar, oregano, salt)
2 x 400g chopped canned tomatos
6 cups stock (I used beef but vege or chicken is fine)
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 cups red lentils
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
sour cream to garnish

In large saucepan, heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook until light golden.
Mix in the Mexican seasoning, then add tomato, stock, tomato paste, lentils and sugar. Bring to boil and stir, then reduce temp and simmer for 45 minutes. Add chopped fresh herbs and garnish with a dollop of sour cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment