Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Figs in Vanilla Syrup

My wonderful supply of figs is coming to an end. After making fig and apple chutney, fig ginger and walnut chutney and dehydrating some, my final way of using them is to use a recipe of a friend's mum. She and her husband run a bed and breakfast and have the most wonderful garden. She makes a huge range of pickles, chutneys and preserves which I have been lucky to have been the recipient of in the past.

This is a recipe that make me glad the rest of my family are not that keen on figs! These jars of yumminess will be mine for a special treat when I need it!

Thank goodness for the newspaper in the oven, they overflowed a bit. I think this was because I filled them too much.

Figs in Vanilla Syrup 8-9 firm fresh figs, 100g. sugar, 
400mls water, 
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, 
1/2 teasp citric acid. 

1. Pack figs in warm (500g) jar. 

2. Boil together for 1 minute, sugar, water & vanilla pod. 

3. Remove Vanilla pod & scrape out seeds, stir back in with citric acid. Tuck bean down side of jar. 

4. Pour syrup over figs and cover almost to brim with syrup (add boiling water if necessary) & seal the jar. Stand on several thicknesses of folded newspaper in 150 deg oven and bake 40 minutes until syrup turns a delicate pink & figs are just starting to rise in the jar. 

5. Using oven gloves, transfer jars to a wooden board, tighten the lids and leave to seal & cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment