Monday, August 6, 2012

Upside Down Potato and Onion Tart

A day at home with a sick child has given me the opportunity to try a couple of new recipes. With her happily snuggled up in front of an old Disney version of sleeping beauty I had time to have a bit of a play in the kitchen. The less exciting  slow cooker chicken and vegetable soup I prepared last night can wait for another night!

I found this recipe on Pintrest, it come from a site called Hizzonders Deli.
After successfully making Feijoa Tarte Tartin recently, the concept really appeals - and the picture looked great.
Of course I was not able to resist a few changes to the recipe, some based on taste preferences and some to utilise the ingredients I had in the house.

I prepared the dish earlier in the day by cooking the onions, then putting the potato mixture on top.
My plan was to cook it with the Turkey Mince Terrine I was also making for dinner.
I increased the recipe and used a larger pan, this might be why it didn't turn out of the pan aas well as the picture on the website? It tasted great anyway.


Upside Down Potato and Onion Tart

2 1/2 tablespoons butter

12 sprigs thyme, strip the leaves from the stems (ooops, I left stems on)

1 large onion, sliced somewhat thickly ( a tad more than 1/4 inch thick) 
(I used 3, a mixture of red and brown onions for colour contrast)


(I added 5 small cloves of garlic thickly sliced and arranged between onion slices)

1 lb. waxy red potatoes, washed and very thinly sliced
 
2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup grated gruyère 
(I used a mixture of edam , tasty cheddar and camembert grated)

1/2 cup crumbled feta

1 cup grated mozzarella

sea salt and cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 400°. Melt the butter in a 9-10 inch ovenproof frying pan (cast iron is great) over medium heat. Add the thyme and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Place the potato, oil, cheeses, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to combine.

Top the onion with the potato mixture and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Turn upside down to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment