Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chicken Baked with Green Olives

I have been wanting Ray McVinnie's 'Every Sunday' since it was released  about a year ago.
Ray McVinnie is one of my favourite New Zealand chefs and food writers. His recipes are always reasonably simple and rely on good quality ingredients.
I was to be given it by my sister and brother in law a couple of weeks ago. Up until today I had only managed to browse through it and find recipes I wanted to try. Today has been a lazy Sunday and I have had time to finally make one of the many recipes I want to try.

This one looks like a long list of ingredients and like it would take a while to make. In reality it was really quick and easy. I'll make it again soon! I only managed to marinate it for nearly an hour. Next time I'll prepare it the day before and then cook it the next night. An easy week night meal.

My picture doesn't look as good as the picture in the book but it tasted great.



This can be prepared in advance, with the exception of the stock and left to marinate overnight if desired.
(Serves 4 - 6)

Ingredients

  • 1.5kg organic chicken, split in half either side of the backbone which is discarded  (or frozen for making stock later), the 2 halves of the chicken are then chopped into 2 wings, 2 breasts, 2 drumsticks and 2 thighs.
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 ½  cups green olives
  • 1 teaspoon toasted coriander seeds
  • ½  cup sultanas (I used currants and they were great)
  • ¼  cup pinenuts
  • 1 cup white wine
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 ¾  cups orzo or other rice shaped pasta (if orzo isn’t available use steamed long grain white rice)

Method

Put the chicken into a wide roasting dish, skin side up.  Sprinkle everything, except the stock, evenly over the top.
Pull the chicken pieces to the top so that the skin is exposed again.  Set aside to marinate 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Pour the stock over the chicken and place in the oven. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until the chicken is well cooked and browned.
While the chicken is in the oven, cook the orzo in plenty of boiling, well-salted water until al dente or tender to the bite. Drain well and toss in a little extra virgin olive oil to prevent it sticking.
Serve the chicken on the orzo to mop up the juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment